Wednesday, June 26, 2013

At the coast

Tuesday - Thursday

Looking off our balcony.



 Tuesday we go out on a whale watching trip. It just so happens some long time friends, Adrian and Cindy, are Goldwinging along the coast at the same time, so we invite them to go on the excursion with us, they join us as well as Adrian's sister Cynthia and her husband Aaron.


 We have a good time and even saw a whale or two!
Back on steady ground we go for lunch. Mo's has good but not great clam chowder..... it leaves me unfulfilled. I still have a hankering for Ivar's by the sea clam chowder, the best I've ever had.
 Because of Beverly's headaches we are in a rental car while the other two couples are on bikes. As we were in the parking lot at the boat dock, some passers-by complimented both Adrian and Aaron about their bikes, but not one person approached me and said anything about how nice our rental car looks.... I mentioned this  during our lunch.
Then later after our lunch as the bikers were gearing up, and we were getting in our car, Aaron walked over and said, "Excuse me Sir, I couldn't help but notice what a fine rental car you have here!"
Thank you Aaron!

Photo ops along the way.

Another stop on our way 'home' ...
...and we are lucky to find this sand castle before the tide erases it.
I think that is Haystack rock in the background.

Wednesday I'm able to go for a short ride while Beverly shops.
This is the "End of the Trail" statue of Lewis and Clark, where they turned around.

I rode north to Astoria to see this bridge that biker buddy Tenere-Tom had told me about.
The Astoria-Megler Bridge is 4.1 miles long and is the longest continuous truss bridge in North America.

I crossed the bridge and did the 101/401 loop on Long Beach and then rode back to the condo.
Trip miles so far are 1326 on the bike....I have no idea how far we've driven in our fine rental car.

And for Wednesday's dinner......

Thursday, no real sightseeing, just some strolling and chillin...
Dinner for Thursday night? Norma's clam chowder, will it be better than Ivar's by the Sea???

Nope. Ivar's is still the champ.
Tomorrow, Mt St Helens.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Ken:

I was going to compliment you on your fine Rental Car too BUT you didn't post any photos of it

There's nothing like staying in one place, relax and watch the ocean

bob
Riding the Wet Coast

Trobairitz said...

I haven't been to Seaside in a few years but it looks as nice as I remember. Wandering the beach can be so much fun.

Locals joke that Mo's chowder is for tourists. I hope you find some better, but will you like it more than Ivar's. We were always partial to the Chowder Bowl in Newport.

Tarsnakes Down Under said...

Ken, looks like a great vacation. Lovely pics of the coastline. Is it warm enough to swim in the ocean?

Cheers Jules.

VegasHotWheeler said...

Great report as usual,and just reminds me that I need to visit my home state in the future!

Ken said...

Bob - Doh! I can't believe I forgot to post a pic of that lovely machine! *sigh....*

Trobairitz - Hmmmm.... Chowder bowl in Newport. I need to remember that!

Jules - Some hardy souls were swimming...I resisted the urge.

Mike - For certain, I love Oregon!

Blogger said...

Using Car Rental 8 you can discover affordable car hire from over 50,000 locations globally.