Sunday, October 18, 2015

Alien dash pt 2

We arrive at Roswell and spend the night here. The next morning while packing we see the balloon and if you look very closely a couple UFOs above the balloon. Luckily they didn't crash and start the debate all over again...

The International UFO museum.

I don't know.
They were walking by and asked if they could get a pic of them by my bike...'Yes, of course'. I invited them to sit on the bike for their pic but they just wanted to stand by it.

Two weirdos standing on a corner...

After our alien adventure in Roswell we leave and see this gift shop along the way. 
Read the sign.

Capitan, New Mexico.
I was not aware there was a Smokey Bear Historical Park...

Then we stop at the VLA. Another item to check off our lists.
Taken from the VLA website:
The Very Large Array, one of the world's premier astronomical radio observatories, consists of 27 radio antennas in a Y-shaped configuration on the Plains of San Agustin fifty miles west of Socorro, New Mexico. Each antenna is 25 meters (82 feet) in diameter. The data from the antennas is combined electronically to give the resolution of an antenna 36km (22 miles) across, with the sensitivity of a dish 130 meters (422 feet) in diameter. 


We rode our bikes into a restricted area...and were able to get this pic before being invited to get back in the visitors area.


This is the Antenna assembly building or "The Barn". This is where the antenna's were built and where they are taken for repair and maintenance.
We went into the gift shop and had a very nice conversation with the pretty lady there. I saw some interesting earrings and the lady notices me checking them out and asks, "what color are her eyes..?" "Ummmmmm.." then I glance at Adrian and he shrugs and says, "Don't look at me!"
After thinking for a minute I remember they are green, so I get the green ones and they are a big hit! Oh yes, the earrings are made out of recycled computer resisters that are used at the VLA. Cool eh?

On the road again.

Our route from Roswell to Quemado, NM.
From Quemado to Salina, Utah.

We stay overnight in Montecello, Utah.
We split up the next morning, Adrian needs to cover more miles than I do, and I want to stop in Salina.
Some road pics on the way home.



At about the middle of that length of road, where it goes up the hill and on a flat spot, is the "Four corners" monument. Where Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona meet.

If you look close you can see a jeep on the top of that rock.




And I make it home about 3:30
5 1/2 days, 1886 miles of good roads and good company!
Thanks Adrian for a great trip.

4 comments:

Erik R said...

Thanks for the trip report. I hope I can get back out that way again someday.

Ken said...

Thanks Erik, its a great place to ride and sight see.

Trobairitz said...

Those antennae are something else. Hard to imagine how big they are even with other items as reference.

Thanks for sharing.

Ken said...

Trobairitz - Yes indeed! Ever since watching Independence day I've wanted to see them in person!
Thanks for reading :)