Thursday, May 4, 2017

Lake Havasu, Arizona - Baja, Mexico part 4

After our dinner at the Villa Vitta we walk across the street to the beach. This storm damaged building didn't look any to stable...
Two of the three dogs that live in the court yard of the VV hotel invited themselves to go with us on our walk.


That night, or actually in the wee hours of the morning I was looking out the window checking on my bike, Beaky, when I saw a car drive slowly past the entrance of the courtyard, then a few minutes later, two guys got out of the car and walked past the entrance while eyeing my bike. The dogs barked at them, but I still thought I'd need to be up all night watching and making sure Beaky doesn't get violated in any way...but then the two dogs that had joined us on our walk went over to Beaky and layed down on either side of her.... I relaxed and went back to bed. 
In the morning I discovered one of the dogs had 'marked' my front tire..that's OK by me, if you're keeping an eye on my bike you can whizz on the front tire!!  LOL

While we were back at San Ignacio, we talked to some expats that told us the road to San Felipe was down to 24 miles of graded dirt. By taking that road we could save us a days ride and see a different part of Baja.
So we thought we would do it. We left Bahia de Los Angeles and went north on hwy 1 to Chapala where we turned right onto hwy 5.
The road was in much better condition than when I rode it two years ago when it was around 60 miles of miserable dirt, but it still left a LOT to be desired. It was indeed bladed, but washboards, deep sugary sand, and large holes still made it a challenge, especially two up.

We passed lots of other vehicles, including semis and large motor homes. The other motorists were very polite to us, a couple semis stopped to we could get past them safely. All in all it could have been MUCH worse.

We came to Coco's corner and stopped for a visit with Coco and a cold coke. It appeared to me that Coco's health continues to decline, he looked a bit rougher than I remember him looking two years ago.
The lodging and some yard ornaments at Coco's.

Then we're back on our way to San Felipe.
We make a rest stop.

A MUCH NEEDED rest stop!

 We make it to San Felipe and have a good nights rest. 

The next morning we get on our way to the border...

...when we run into this guy, Roberto. 
In our conversation I express to Roberto that I'm unsure about where the crossing is located in Mexicali. He tells me its easy to find, but if we choose, we can just follow him. Sweet! That will make it so much easier to navigate through town.
Roberto, true to his word, takes us right to the crossing and shows us the dedicated motorcycle lane. I would guess he saved us at least 3 hours of waiting in the hot sun by helping us find our way. 
Thanks Roberto!


We did this crossing in 110 degree temps. This was the hottest day of the trip, all of the other days on this ride were nearly perfect weather.

The wall.

Back in the Good Ole USA, we stay in Yucca Valley, Arizona.
We are both looking forward to getting home, but Yucca Valley is 650 miles from our house, which would NOT be fun to do while two up. So, the next morning we ride two up to Las Vegas, 200 miles away, then Bev gets a rental car and we both drive/ride the remaining 450 miles home.

A great trip!
3025 miles.
I'm not certain Bev will go again with me to Baja, but I'm going to try and go in November of this year....we'll see.
(Anyone fancy a bit of whale watching?)

The Road goes ever on and on
Out from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone.
Let others follow, if they can!
Let them a journey new begin.
But I at last with weary feet
Will turn towards the lighted inn.
My evening-rest and sleep to meet.

Still 'round the corner there may wait
A new road or secret gate;
And though oft I have passed them by,
A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun.
- Master Bilbo Baggins


No comments: