Saturday, October 12, 2019

Lunch in Kansas

I'm in the mood to have a burger run. 
EricV lives in Missouri so I pick a spot halfway between us on the map. 
Then I notice the little town I've picked has a motorcycle museum in it! 
Bonus! 
The Kansas motorcycle museum in Marquette, Kansas.

So...the burger run is on. Eric and I meet on a Wednesday, have lunch at City Sundries a half a block away from the museum, and then go visit the excellent Kansas Motorcycle Museum.








The museum honors home grown champion, Stan "the Man" Engdahl.
Stan was a National Champion 5 times and raced for 60 years. He raced dirt track and road racing.
Stan was a tv repairman besides a champ moto rider.

I got to Marquette with my reserve light flashing, but there is not a gas station there, so after the museum visit, I ride to Lindsborg 10 miles away to fill up.
And then ride southwest to Dodge City.
This was the second of three days of ice cold winds from the north.
I'm in the middle of BEEF country, so I have some pho to warm up...
Day three of brutal winds....but still having fun.


Museum in New Mexico....finally its merely breezy, not crazy windy!
Yes!!

I ride the "Singing Highway" in Tijera, New Mexico.
"God Bless America"
(with a uke and swaying hips accompanying)
Heading north now....




My last fuel stop is in Green River, Utah 181 miles from home.
From Green River to Price, Utah there is nothing but 64 miles of two lanes and scraggly sage brush... 
So I leave the gas station and 19.2 miles later I see an Indian Scout parked on the other side of the road. The female rider indicates STOP when I give the 'thumbs up/thumbs down' question...so I U-ey and stop.

"I'm out of gas" she explains....  No problem, I have a gallon on the back of the bike. We put the gas in her bike and she is soon on her way to Green River to fill up.

And 172 miles after the road side gas stop, I'm home!
2600 miles in 6 days...
Cold, windy, scenic, fun...Life is indeed GOOD!

3 comments:

RichardM said...

Sounds like a great trip and I’ll need to look up that museum the next time I’m in Kansas. Back in the late 70s, I spent a lot of time on that road between Price and Green River. One of our field sites was in the area. You’re right, a lot of nothing...

Ken said...

Richard - the volunteer at Marquette told me there is also a motorcycle museum in St Francis, Kansas that is closely connected to the Marquette museum. Sadly it was in the wrong direction for my planned ride. Maybe next time.

Unknown said...

Utube sadysteve

Customer of Exact Tool Grinding

:)