Friday, June 5, 2020

Wish you were here..

I have a 10 day window to try and bag 3 of the SCMA15 Best roads.

I leave and 5 miles into my ride I see this guy on the side of the road, he is out of gas and I happen to have a gallon on the back of my bike! Problem solved, he and I are soon on our separate ways.

I soon mosey into New Mexico where I see two GIANT Ranchers gettin sideways across the four lane highway.... I'm sure there is an interesting story here, but I could not find any answers.


Then into Roswell for the night.

The courthouse in Roswell

Odessa Texas....I think
.
I stop to see the Stonehenge replica in Odessa.

On my way to Camp Wood, Texas to ride the Twisted Sisters I pass a bunch of goats, even at 70 mph I could tell something was wrong with this one....a quick U-turn and a few seconds later I had this guy free to wander again.

Next morning I start on the Twisted Sisters...


After 160 miles of Twisted Sisters.... I head off to Mississippi to ride the Natchez Trace, but first I have to cross the Mighty Mississippi River!

I get an early start on the Natchez, I think I was required to ride about 90 miles, but I ended up enjoying 187 miles.




The Trace checked off I point to Arkansas to ride the Pig Trail, on the way I see this unusual sight...a fixed wing and rotary wing flying side by side....

I get on the Pig Trail and was having a super time when.....

....I passed this guy; he waved and I just wasn't quite sure if he was being friendly or if he needed assistance. I knew I'd feel guilty if I didn't make certain he was ok,  so I turned around and when I got back and asked if he needed help he said 'no he was just being neighborly'.  Don lives right on the Pig Trail and is a super guy.  We had a nice long chat and by the time I left I had made a new friend! I'm so glad I turned around.
(unfortunately, the paper I wrote his contact info on and numerous receipts disappeared from my tank bag - I think they must have blown out at some point on the trip and I didn't notice until I was nearly home)

So now all 3 rides are 'bagged' its time to head for the barn

Minneola, Kansas

Montrose, Colorado

I go through Canon City, Colorado so I just have to ride the Skyline Drive

on the Skyline drive

And true to form once my nose gets pointed toward home I get in a hurry; the last day I leave La Junta, Colorado and ride straight home, 670 miles.
When I get home there is an amazing fruit drink and some steak and eggs waiting for me!!
(and she wonders why I rode that many miles in one day....)

So that's it! 3 more "15 Best" checked off - 4332 miles in 9 days Good times!
States visited on this ride, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Kansas.


2 comments:

RichardM said...

That’s some road trip!

Ken said...

Thanks Richard! Tis the season eh? I hope your getting a lot of miles in also..