Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Cal group to Moab II

I move from the Slickrock RV park to the KOA in Moab....Much nicer!

Another road I've been told about is the road to Gateway, Colorado off of the La Sal Loop.
I ride it and find it is about 25 miles of good dirt road and 5 miles of rutty, miserable dirt road...

Hard to tell from the photo but it is VERY steep in some places.



Eventually I make it to pavement and then connect with Colorado highway 141 and ride to Naturita, Colorado where I stop for a burger at Blondies. While there I meet a couple from the Netherlands. He is enthralled with my darkside tire, and takes a photo because, "his friends won't believe it..."
They were real nice, I enjoyed talking with them.



I loop back into Utah and ride to the Needles overlook.




The next day I ride back to Naturita and wait for the California group to ride through. When I see them, they have ridden the Million Dollar Highway among many others on their way from the west coast.

And there they are...at least their bikes.

Back at our camp we take this photo.
 l to r - Yours truly, Bill, Sheryl, Don, Rick.

The next morning the Cal group wants to ride some of the places I've already seen, so I'll take another route. I ride south to see Hovenweep National Monument, passing the Hatch trading post along the way.


This place is fascinating!
The Puebloans lived here over 700 years ago. Apparently this area was once a thriving community.




I do the 1.5 mile walk around the parks wonders.

I rest and re-hydrate from the walk then I'm off to ride the Moki Dugway.

Stopping at the top I snap some pictures.



Back on the Moki..

And then riding toward hwy 191 I go through this formation just before Bluff.






On 191


The next morning I pack up to head for home...the Cal group has several more days ride before they will get to their homes. I leave reluctantly - they are a great group of people!

 On the way home I see these beauties near Price.

Another super ride in the books. 1570 miles. Southern Utah is absolutely beautiful, I love riding there
Thanks to Bill for letting me join his group (for a couple days..) and a million laughs.

2 comments:

Trobairitz said...

Can you imagine living in the desert that long ago, living off the land, no amenities. A hard life I am sure.

Thanks for sharing all the photos. I always enjoy them.

Ken said...

Trobairitz - I'm with you it was likely a hard life, but I was so impressed that 700 year old buildings were, at least partially, standing. I think they were an amazing people.