Friday, March 30, 2018

Whale watching in San Ignacio

 A whale watching trip to San Ignacio, in Baja, has long been on my bucket list. 

I'm finally....and suddenly, able to go....I make the decision to go on a Saturday, and leave the next Wednesday.

Riding south I stay overnight in Searchlight, Nevada - One of their nice murals.

Then again southward the next morning. I ride some of Route 66, this mural in Needles, California.

The night before I enter Baja I stay at a cheap motel in Calexico. Along about 10:30 at night I get a knock on the motel room door.... Its a salesman, or I guess I should say, saleswomen...  I tell her I don't have enough money for her ware's, and offer an I.O.U. instead - which she flat refuses!
I guess a penny saved is a penny earned....

South again in the morning and into Baja via Mexacalli.
I get on the wrong road in San Felipe.....and don't mind, as I saw some nice sights. In fact I went around the block twice to get better pictures.


I take the short cut past Coco's corner. The first time I took this road it was 40 miles of dirt between paved sections. It is now down to 24 miles.

If you don't know about Coco, he is an Icon in the Baja area. He is a double amputee that has, against all odds, made a living in an inhospitable land.
His 'corner' is well known among adventure bikers, and Baja racers alike. 

Sadly Mexico is building a new paved road that will bypass the famous corner.
I wonder what the future will bring for Coco.

And I make it to Guerrero Negro the first night in Baja.

And to San Ignacio the next day.



The next morning I ride to San Ignacio Lagoon for the much anticipated whale watching....but not this one - Live ones!

This shows the size of the boat we're in.

Tally-ho!

Mom and calf.
(click on the picture to see a whale spout in the distance)

And I get to touch a calf...so exciting!
I'm pretty sure everyone on our boat got to touch a whale.

 Mom and calf again.


The group I went out with...fun folks, and a real treat to share the excursion with!

My very first fish taco...

And then its northward bound...somewhere near Chapala I run into long time friends Adrian and Cindy, and Aaron and Cynthia.
We had a super, but all to short visit on the side of the road.

Comfort stop.

I had thought I had plenty of tread on the rear tire for this trip, but the rough Mexican roads have accelerated the wear. I stop in Encinada and find a replacement. I'm very glad I did this so I didn't have to sweat riding home on a bald tire.

And out of Baja...

I decide to ride a bit more of Route 66 and go home via Page, Arizona. So I head east for a ways, when I take the exit to go north again I take the wrong exit! Dang it...but then I look ahead and see a bike on the side of the road. He is stopped in the sun and close to the cars zipping by so I suggest I push him down the road a 100 yards or so and park off the road in the shade of this tree.

Sam, aka Slyder, is the Sporster owner and was on his way home to Kansas City after having rode to the west coast to visit his brother, currently serving in the Navy.

His bike doesn't have spark, so once we're in a better situation off the road he arranges for a tow truck...the nearest Harley dealer is 50 miles away. After he has the tow lined up there is nothing else I can do for Sam so I leave him a bottle of water and resume my journey.

Sam has a nice looking bike, a great sense of adventure, and an iron grip....I hope everything worked out for him.

And back on Route 66....

.....I run into these gorgeous Ladies  who are visiting the U.S. for a couple of weeks, they are from France, and were a real pleasure to talk to!

I ride through the Grand Canyon National Park...I think it took more time to get in the entrance than it did for me to ride through. The line was horrendous! 

I stay overnight in Page, Arizona where every hotel is full! Expedia couldn't help me so I had to call Bev and she was finally able to find me a very nice, but expensive, room. I guess I have the Easter weekend to thank for that mess....those people should be HOME for Easter!! (lol) 

Leaving Page I see this neat wrap..

Then the Glen Canyon Dam

And a few hundred miles later the Butch Cassidy childhood cabin.

2,976 miles - This trip will go down as one of my best rides!
A big part of that is the whale excursion, but great roads and meeting some very nice folk is another reason.
I LOVE motorcycling!!!!

13 comments:

RichardM said...

That sounds like a great trip. I stopped at San Ignacio in 1981. I thought it was in the middle of the peninsula where the highway goes from one side of the peninsula to the other. I definitely remember the church and we camped right across the square under some trees. This was a bicycle trip so not many side trips were made. The whale watching pictures look great. I saw some way off in the distance from some cliffs south of Guerrero Negro.

Great post, thank you for sharing the trip!

Trobairitz said...

Wow, great trip. I love that you rode to Mexico for whale watching. It is now whale watching week here in Oregon so our coastal roads are really busy. Still never gone on an excursion ourselves though. I like the idea of doing it in Mexico.

Thanks for sharing. I love that you snapped pictures of all the murals too.

Ken said...

Richard - I was told about the whale watching in Guerrero Negro the night I stayed there, I was tempted to stay there again and experience an excursion there.. I can't believe you rode (PEDALED) a bike through Baja.... whew!!

Trobairitz - I really enjoy the murals that have sprung up all over the world. They usually seem to be a pleasant bit of visual local history. Like a little bit of extra sugar in the sweet drink of traveling :)


** Thanks for reading!! **

Tarsnakes Down Under said...

Ken, I haven't looked in for a very long time, but this trip was was well worth reading about and the whale pics, in particular, were brilliant. Cheers Jules.

Ken said...

Jules - Thanks for checking in, I'm glad you liked the pix!

LowellAZ said...

A very enjoyable read, and excellent photos. I've never made a trip this long but may one of these days.

Ken said...

LowellAZ - Thanks for stopping in. A long trip is just a bunch of day trips hooked together....go for it!

Greg Prosmushkin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ken said...

Greg - Thanks for dropping in, I hope you get to go whale watching soon..its great!

Motorcycle Paradise said...

Nice photos and weather looks great!

Ken said...

Thanks Warren - Glad you stopped in!

Sam Doney said...

Hey man, just now read the blog and the sportster is running great now. I'm never getting rid of it. Currently has 57,000 miles and rode it 21,000 miles in a year.

Ken said...

Sam - Glad to hear the Sportster is running great! Keep racking up those miles!