Monday, June 18, 2018

5th annual Cache Rally. (14 - 17 June, 2018)

Time once again for the annual Cache rally, held this year in Buena Vista, Colorado.

Two days before I leave Bev and I celebrate 38 years of wedded bliss. I'm so glad she reminded me so I could get these roses!

I arrive at Buena Vista on Wednesday June 13th.

Thursday morning I rode over to the St. Elmo ghost town, said to be the best preserved ghost town in Colorado. They have several restoration projects going on and even though it's already a neat place it will be much nicer in a few years.

Hmmmm..... Bev works for a large mine, I wonder if...awwwww never mind.


After my visit to St. Elmo I return to the rally camp site, waiting for the others to arrive.

Most of the group did arrive Thursday afternoon.
Friday we did a group ride to Bishop's castle near Rye, Colorado.

Jim Bishop has been building this castle since 1969.  It is a one man job that is the result of genius, hard work, and vision.
I was amazed at what Mr. Bishop has accomplished.

The fire breathing dragon. And it actually does have fire shooting out sometimes, usually on weekends. Jim installed a hot air balloon burner in the dragon that he fires up on occasion.

Inside the main room.

Jim is pro God and anti government...I knew there was a reason I liked the guy!

The endless stone stairs made me think of the Lord of the Rings....

Paul, (wingstrom) and me.

I climbed across that catwalk.
You can see the action here:

The other side, looking down.

T.J. and I.

An important sign.......


What an amazing place! Well worth the visit.

Back at comp.
(Yes, it was very dusty!)

A few weeks ago fellow V-Strom enthusiast, Pat, aka Greywolf passed away. Pat had an incredible amount of knowledge about the Strom and willingly shared it with anyone who asked. Pat loved rootbeer so we toasted him with various iterations of that drink and then had a moment of silence in his Honor. 
Rest In Peace Pat. 
(thanks Paul - wingstrom, for the picture)

Part of what makes a rally fun is the good food.  We had two dinners at Jan's family restaurant.....

.....and one at Quincy's steakhouse. Both places were excellent!

Saturday a group went over Independence Pass and made a loop back to camp.
(I took a nap.)

The rally was FUN! I've enjoyed all 5 of the Cache rallies, but this one has to be the best yet!  We had riders from Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin and even Colorado....  Each one is good people who are enjoyable to hang out with.

And all of them are Riders...no posers in this group.  Don, aka nvr2old rode 3000 miles just getting TO the rally. I don't know how many miles he put in going home. I only rode 1500 miles RT. Obviously others from the farther away states put in a bunch of miles as well.

A big thanks to Wally, aka SanJuanServant who on his own decided to have a huge urn of steaming  hot coffee (and sugar and creamer) sitting on a table for whoever wanted some each morning. Nice!!

I received several 'thanks for doing this' - both public and private...which partially answers the question of why I do this every year, the rest of the answer is in the paragraphs above.

So....where will next years Cache rally be held?
Most likely somewhere near the Bear Tooth, and Chief Joseph highways..........wanna ride?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm in for the Bear Tooth! I was great to see ya Ken! Wish I could've stayed the whole weekend, but had to get an early start Saturday to head down to Cortez for a family reunion.

Until next time!


John Phelps

Ken said...

It was good to see you again John. Next year! (ps Nice bike!) :D

Unknown said...

Same back at ya! We have such good taste don't we?? Haha..

Keep me updated on your travels down south, and hopefully I'll see ya before the next Cache Rally!

Safe travels!


JP

Trobairitz said...

Happy Anniversary and congrats on 38 years!

The rally looks like a wild ride too. :-)

Anonymous said...

I had a great time. No matter which road I turned onto, it offered exceptional riding. The commraderie was nice and Bishop Castle was a real adventure. I’m already working on getting a Pass from the wife for next year (wish me luck). Thanks again Ken.
Wingstrom aka Paul

Ken said...

Trobairitz - Thanks! As I recall you're only a few years behind! :)

Paul - Glad you could make it again this year. My offer to write a note to your wife is still good.... (haha)
Maybe you can show me how to send pix next year!