Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Beverly, Bison Ranch and Beyond..

 Bev and I decide to take a week and go south. Bison Ranch, where we decide to go, is near Show Low, Arizona.

Bev is going to drive and I'll ride, because at the end of the week she will return home and I'll wander south and east to bag a few of the "15 Best roads in America" that SCMA puts on each year.

The bike is packed and I'm all set to go, aaaaaaaaaaand it is snowing! That's ok, I hit the road anyway and hope the Sun will soon show his face and warm up the roads..... I rode through a few squalls on the way to Moab. 

After Green River I ride the excellent SR 128 and then go through the "Ghost town" of Cisco on my way to Moab.

The annual Easter 4 wheel drive gathering is taking place so Moab is even more crowded than usual, so I'm not able to find lodging, but I call Bev and she manages to find me a room at this B&B. Bill and Tammy run an awesome BnB!!

Beds and Bagels


The next day at the break of mid-morning I'm loading the bike and waiting for the Sun to warm things up when I pull a real bone-headed move; I lock the BnB key inside my room before I have all my gear out...Good Grief!!

Bill and Tammy don't normally hang out at the BnB so I was kinda stuck. I sent an email to their online site and luckily Tammy saw it and just a few minutes later all was right in the world.

Off I went to ride the cool La Sal loop, at least as far as the snow would let me.

This was where I turned around.

Next up was the Needles overlook south of Moab several miles.  The turn off is about 33 miles out of Moab. The out-of-the-way round trip is about 40 miles, but it is well worth it!





After oogling at the Needles scenery I head south again to meet Bev in Bluff, Utah where we stay overnight. The next day I follow her to Bison Ranch, taking some pixs along the way.


During our stay at Bison Ranch we do a lot of hiking and also take a drive on the "Devils Tail" aka US 191.
Near Clifton, Az is the Morenci mine. We stop at the mine overlook and across the way is a train that was parked by a cliff....several rocks had fallen and hit this train car.

Then we drive down to Clifton and check out the historic part of that cool town, Chase Creek Street.
The City is doing work on the street - moving all those power lines underground. Workers actually had it blocked off but the super nice man we talked to let us go on the sidewalks to get these pictures. (The pic of the Church and bike were taken a couple days later).



So our week in Bison Ranch is over and Bev has driven home.
I'll spend the next two weeks doing the following rides; 
first I ride to New Mexico to ride the Geronimo Trail, then to Texas to enjoy the Twisted Sisters....

Geronimo Trail



The Twisted Sisters

Then to Mississippi to ride the Natchez Trace.


Following that I go to Arkansas to ride the Pig Trail.

One of several lunch stops.

And then it is time to go home.
I hit some more nasty weather between Mississippi and Kansas...so I mostly just tucked my head and got the miles done.

I can't remember what this town is....Kingman, Kansas maybe...
The weather had calmed a bit, but temps were still nippy.


A nice ride, many cold days and a couple pleasant days. I was ready to be home, so the last day I ride 450 miles from Pagosa Springs, Colorado to home arriving at 5pm.
4,909 miles total. 
Some of these pix will show up in the "15 Best Roads" post when I finally get them all done.

No comments: