Friday, September 10, 2021

The Four Corners of the U.S. - intro

 I didn't start riding seriously until I was around 43 years old. 

Yes... I had a Suzuki TS 125 in my mid 20s that I put about 5K on, but then kids came along and bikes got put waaaay down on the priority list....in fact they weren't even on the list at all.

Me on the TS...I had just ridden through a canal and got some water in the intake... One of my sons in the red jacket. 

Then, in my 4th decade, several buddies started buying bikes - Goldwings and Beemers being the most popular. 

After hearing them talk about their bikes, and the riding they were doing...the motorcycle bug bit....HARD....and I joined in the fun with a well used Goldwing 1200 (no pic), 

then a short time later I got a little nicer GL 1200 and rode it for a year

(22,000 miles)


and then yet another wing that I rode for two years, this time a beautiful GL1500.

(60,000 miles)

At that point, I had surrendered to the 'moto-illness' and every spare moment was spent on the bike riding .......somewhere....anywhere it didn't matter where I was going as long as I was riding!

It was in year two of this moto-madness that I got wind of a ride called;

"Four Corners of the US"

Which is sponsored by the SCMA aka:

Southern California Motorcycle Association;

sc-ma.com

That ride....sounded like SO MUCH FUN and even though I KNEW I would enjoy it it seemed like a pipe dream...I really didn't think I would ever have a chance to do a 4 corners ride. 

....and then....

22 years and 473,000 motorcycle miles later I'm getting my chance!

And this is how it will happen:

For our annual family trip, we are going to Steamboat Springs, Colorado for three days.

The families will all drive over, and I'll ride.

When it is time to return home, instead of riding west into the setting sun, I'll go east toward Maine where I'll start my 4 corners ride. 

On the way to Maine, I'll do two of the 15 US Best. 

One in Ohio, another in Acadia NP, Maine, and also during the 4 corners I'll ride the Blue Ridge Parkway for my 15th road. 


(Fast forward to the end of family vaca......) 

And (I think) the family had a great time.  I know I did!

Will, Luke, Taylor, and I took the highly recommended Buffalo pass over to Walden and enjoyed some shopping at a huge yard sale!


(Thanks Mike, the GSA rider who told me about Buffalo Pass!) 


I'm not sure who enjoyed breakfast more Millie or Poppy.
Another breakfast with some of the family and it was time for them to head home and for me to motor northeast to finish up the 15 best, and start the four corners.

Along the way I decide it would be a good idea to stop on the freeway and hang out for an hour or so in this traffic jam...

It turned out wonderfully!!...

I made my way to Little Hocking, Ohio And rode the spectacular winding, twisting, and rolling  555 with Bob and Tom. 

Bob is on the SCMA board and is in charge of the 15 US best ride. 
It was so nice of him to meet us and lead us on this ride. I was very happy to meet Bob.

Tom was in the middle of a 600-mile day and is also riding the 15 best. After the 555 he has only one more road and he'll be done. It was also a pleasure meeting, and riding with Tom.

After we went our separate ways I went to see Vase Henge in Zanesville, Ohio.

Then I stopped in Hopeland Ohio at the Memorial Honoring Fallen Riders.


I was very impressed and moved by this well-done Memorial. Because of recent storms the glass on the registration case was dust covered, so before I left I got my spray polish and a rag out of the bike and made sure to leave it shiny and clean.

Next a quick stop in Keene, New Hampshire for this photo op in front of the Parrish Shoe Company sign of the Jumanji movie fame. Several scenes were filmed in Keene.


Then, a short 10 days after leaving home, as I entered Caribou, Maine I ran into this guy. He's trying to get this bike running so his mother-in-law can sell it. 

I pushed him a looong way down the hill until we got it running. He seems like a great guy I hope it works out for them

And that's kind of an intro to the Four Corners ride. Tomorrow morning I'll go to Madawaska, Maine and visit the Four Corners Park that honors long-distance motorcycle riding. 
I'll meet with Joe LaChance who is the motivating force behind the park and then I'll start my four corners ride, riding South to Key West Florida and that will be "part one". I hope you continue reading!
See-ya in part one.

Stir the oil, Baby!

No comments: