Thursday, September 9, 2021

The four corners of the US part 2

I'm at the Madawaska 4 corners park. This is where I'll start my 4 corners trek.

Joe and Diane LaChance are the creative and driving force behind the park/monument to Long Distance and touring Motorcyclists 

Diane gave me a fascinating tour of their beautiful park. 

I hope to have a red brick there with my name on it! (Red brick denotes a 4 corner finisher)



Leaving the 4 corners I ride across the road for gas and a receipt! And that is my start time!

Next corner is Key West. 
 I ran into remnants of Hurricane Henri on my way to Maine, now as I'm southbound it looks like I hit some of hurricane Ida as well.


I stayed in Ft Lauderdale a few days so as to miss most of Ida. I was in a place with a full kitchen so I ate a bit better while there.
I labored in the kitchen for hours to make this meal... Either that or I spent 5 minutes nuking it! ;)

I got a little carried away when shopping and had to be creative in hauling it back to my place!

Ok this isn't a foodie ride... back on track.... At Key West  I took photos at three different approved locations thinking I would use the best one for the blog. Well, they all turned out lousy so I'll post all three.

The post office.

The Chevron

And the famous bouy.
It's a good thing this isn't a beauty contest eh...


Next up is San Ysidro, California.
Hurricane Ida has just finished trashing Louisiana.. I'm hoping I can get through that area without any drama.
I'll leave Fla in the morning.

I was also hoping for a good night's rest but that didn't happen some idiot went into the stairwells to have a cigarette and set off the fire alarms at 2 a.m. in the morning. 
we all had to go out in the parking lot until the fire department cleared the building.
*sigh*


As I passed through the damage caused by Hurricane Ida I was amazed how much devastation it caused. 
Also gas stations (with gas) were hard to come by, I filled up at Mobile, Alabama and and a couple hours later my gas was getting low so I stopped and had to use my spare  tanks to keep going.  I had stayed on the freeway exclusively through the storm affected area and I ended up needing to get off the freeway 6 times before I found a gas station that had gas, and that station was CROWDED with gas hungry customers and their cars!


Yo. In tree of da Rambo movies Rambo sez his hometown is Bowie, Arizona. I tot dis was an interesting factoid to include in the blog.... :)

Corner #3
This is new territory for me. I've visited the other three corners before, but I've never visited this corner of California.

Lots of fog on my way to Blaine..I stopped at a gas station to wait for better visibility.

Annnnnd number 4!
Woohoo... I'm done and celebrated by eating an Oreo.

And homeward bound - as I worked my way across Washington I ran into these two beauties...the BIKES not the riders! ;)
'99 and 2000 if I remember right.
Dave and Ted were fun to visit with.

And on the way...nearly to McCall, Idaho I stop to don rain gear and meet this fellow rider.
I neglected to get her name but she is returning home after a couple weeks of riding through Yellowstone, Glacier ect.
What a great gal with an adventurous personality!


So that's it my 4 corners foray comes to an end. 6800 miles in 16 days, that includes some hunker-down time while the hurricanes wreaked their havoc.

(edit to correct totals)
Total trip distance was 11,320 miles, total trip time  (home to home) is 28 days.
Take away the days I was hiding from the storms or getting new tires, etc and I averaged around 435 miles a day.

Thanks for stopping in. 
See you on the next ride!

Life is certainly good!!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ken it was great chatting with you on your final leg towards home. Glad to hear you made it home safely. If in my area don’t hesitate to contact a fellow rider. It was awesome seeing the vfr picture. It’s rare that Ted and I are both in a pic when we travel and he writes about it.

Dave

Ken said...

Thanks for stopping in Dave!

OGEN Infosystem (P) Limited said...

Nice blog, keep it up for more updates. For the best Website designing company and digital marketing company in delhi visit OGEN Infosystem Pvt Ltd. Here you will get well-experienced website designers and digital marketing experts and they help you to grow your business online.
Digital Marketing Company in Delhi