Sunday, July 31, 2022

Last trip for the triple Crown Part I

This year the Cache Rally is being held in Crescent City California. 
I still have some Triple Crown riding to do and as it happens some of it is in that same area. So is my good fortune to be able to go do the Cache Rally and then ride some more triple Crown check offs

Some fluffy clouds keep me company on the loneliest highway.

I overnight in Austin, Nv at the Cozy Mt Inn where....I meet Patrick from Sweden, a Geologist and a Professor (I can't remember the University name) who has come to the US looking for interesting specimens to take back to Sweden.

He showed us what he has gathered so far;

Also joining in was Drew and Christine from the Bay area who were traveling to Colorado thirsting for some outdoor adventures!
Good conversation at the Cozy Mt Inn!

I can't leave Austin without having breakfast at Grandmas....

Back on the road I came across this photo op...about 30 or 40 yards from the road, a local told me it had 'landed' there a few days ago. He also thought that everyone had walked away from the landing.


After Austin I stay in Reno...then motor over to Klamath Falls, Oregon to overnight.
This is the view out my back door at Klamath.

Leaving Klamath Falls I rode to the Lava Beds National Park, then hopped on the Volcanic Legacy Highway (US 97) to make my way to Yreka. 

Then as serendipity would have it I saw the Living Memorial Sculpture Garden, and was past it before I realized what it was about. There is only this sign to tell you it is there.
Hitting the brakes hard (I was on a fairly steep downhill by then) I turned around and rode back to pay the Garden a visit.
And was very happy that I did!
The Garden is quite large with numerous sculptures of several different wars. However, I think the majority of the sculptures were about the Vietnam war.


Depicting POW conditions

Carrying a litter


Recreating the famous Iwo Jima scene

The Garden is an inspiring, sobering, and contemplative place. 
I was thankful that I made the stop.

After the Garden visit I rode the remaining 30 miles to Yreka.

I then hopped on the excellent Ca3 from Yreka to Weaverville. When I stopped for gas in Weaverville I met this gentleman. At my prodding he told me about the vehicles he owns and how long he has owned each one. I think the average time for the various Jeeps, and pickups was over 35 years!
He seemed like an awesome guy, and invited me to eat at his bar less than a mile away - sadly I was racing the remaining daylight to get to Crescent City before dark and didn't feel like I could make the stop.
I'm still regretting the decision to go on.....

so, after filling up with expensive Cal gas I made my way to Crescent City where the Cache Rally was being held.

More in Part II

 

No comments: