Monday, June 7, 2021

To the wet coast

Going to California to get the 15 best, here are some experiences that I left off the 4 part15 best posts. The 15 roads took two trips to bag them all.

This is the first trip;

At Olancha, Ca....I don't know the story behind this sentiment.


Near Roy's on Rt 66


Riding Ca 1 I see a dust-up at Elephant Seal Rock.


Same road...the Ca 1 is spectacular!


"Oops"...I rode the wrong road. I turned right at the General's highway and Ca 180/198 intersection (I should have gone straight) and spent 2 hours navigating rain, hail, snow and thick fog on the beautiful and mega curvy General's hwy. I didn't realize I had made this mistake until I got home.....  

Ohhhh Darn! I'll have to go back and do the right road!

I was able to pick up 10 of 15 during the first trip. On the second trip I was able to get the last 5

And on the way home from the first trip I pass through Fallon, Nevada and get this pic.

Then the second trip...

On the way there, and on the way home I stayed both times in Eureka, Nevada at the Sundown Lodge

On my first visit my timing was perfect as the Lodge just happened to be hosting a BBQ that night so I got in on free food and the good times.

Chris and Gina run the place and are Good People! I stayed up till late chatting with Chris and very much enjoyed the meal and conversation.

A bit later I was offered a tour of the Eureka tunnels that the emigrants used many many years ago to make their way around the town. Apparently they were not welcome to be in public in the town proper.

This is underneath one of the buildings on Main Street.


The stairs are STEEP!


Safety first....


At one point in the life of this building business transactions were held in this and several other similar rooms.....

The hallway that held the 'business rooms'

Back in the sunshine....my well traveled hula girl is starting to be a little immodest...   When she gets to-rockin and rollin sometimes I can see the curls of her spring.

So I mooched an elastic band and easily solved the problem....for now.

While enroute to Sequoia National Forest on Ca99 at about 70 mph, I was passed by a truck with a utility bed, and the tail-gate was down. 
This air tank was near the end of the tail-gate. I quickly slowed to get some space between him and me - and sure enough about 1/2 mile later the tank bounced out of the truck and onto the road.

Because I had slowed to make space between us it was not a danger to me, but it stopped spinning and bouncing in the middle of the outside lane.

Knowing that was likely to cause an accident, I pulled over and moved the tank off to the other side of the guard-rail. The truck, apparently oblivious, kept going.

I had a couple of Sasquatch sightings on Ca 96 enroute to Willow Creek



Enjoying a snack near Kanawyers in Sequoia NF I just couldn't resist snapping this pic of my baby...

I stayed two nights in lodging a few miles outside of Angels Camp.
Sitting on my deck at night I would see these deer as they would visit looking for handouts.



And on my way home as I neared Ely, Nevada this locomotive passed in the other direction, I quickly pulled a U-ey and got ahead of him at the next photo op....as they passed the Engineer gave me a wave and a couple blasts of the horn!
Nice!!


And that's that.

This last trip was a bit under 3000 miles. 

On the last three trips I've made the bike has averaged for the trip 55 mpg twice and 57 once. I'm VERY happy with the Tenere....I been lucky enough to have ridden 95,000 miles on her since May of 18

Life is sooooooooooo good!


1 comment:

RichardM said...

95K on the bike! Quite the distance. I always enjoy reading about your travels.