Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Cache Gathering 2021 part 2

Nooooo...... I didn't sell the Tenere. 
I met this guy the day before I left Kamiah. Jonny Lewis is a Screenwriter/Director currently working on an independent film titled "Waking up in Idaho"
www.WakingupinIdaho.film

Jonny has another film in the works called "Biker Babes" 
https://bikerbabes.film/ 
which is a comedy about moving on after a tragic loss.
For that reason he took an interest in what I was doing... making some adjustments on the bike.  We took a load off in the shade behind the Tenere and talked bikes for a good long while.

It was a pleasure meeting Jonny, and very interesting to get a tiny insight into the art of movie making.

Somewhere along the way I lost a cap that protects the backside of  one of my headlights. I was concerned about road grime and even worse, water getting into the headlight housing so I took some Gorilla tape and a baggy and made a temporary 'cap'... or as I called it my headlight condom.  
It apparently worked as it was still intact and there was no nasty stuff in the housing when I got home. 
I have two new caps ordered.
On Saturday I departed for Washington to pick up another of the US 15 Best
To get to Omak I go via the "Old Spiral Highway" north of Lewiston, Idaho.
Charlie Ryan wrote the song "Hot Rod Lincoln" after he and a friend raced up the Old Spiral Hwy, when they recorded the song they changed the name of the road to Grapevine hill.
Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen covered the song in 1972

After an overnight stay in Omak, I ride the Northern Cascades Scenic Byway...one of the US 15 Best.
Omak to Concrete Wa.

Look close across the bridge and you can see the Tenere by the hwy sign.

Yes, I know...  my selfie skills are a work in progress.



And the other end of another super road.

Then I was on my way to Redmond, Oregon for a couple nights stay.
As I passed Maryhill, Washington I recognized that name (more than just the song) and knew there was something I wanted to see in Maryhill.
I pulled over and pondered it for a moment and then remembered that there is a Stonehenge replica in Maryhill!

So I broke out my smart phone and woke up Ms.Google and it turns out I was very close, only 4 miles away. I was even closer than that to the Maryhill Museum so I pulled in there and took a short gander at some of their interesting outdoor exhibits then it was off the see the Henge.


Looking down on the Columbia River and the Sam Hill Memorial Bridge from the Maryhill Museum


The Henge is a memorial to US Service members.



Then I rode to Eagle Crest near Redmond, Oregon to find my lodging. 

When I checked into the condo at Eagle Crest, I had to use the bathroom. I went in and opened the door to the bathroom and proceeded to go about my business by standing at the porcelain with my back to the door I had just opened. Since I was alone in the condo I had simply left the bathroom door wide open.

But as I was whizzing merrily away I hear the door CLICK SHUT behind me.....  Do you know how hard it is to concentrate on your aim when that happens???
After I had looked over my shoulder to make certain I was at least ALONE in the bathroom, I finished and went through the rest of the condo to make certain I was ALONE there as well. And I was.
The bathroom door? Well, if left open, it closes itself...every time.

I BLOCKED it open with a garbage can for the rest of my stay.

Since I was staying in Eagle Crest I was 678 miles from home. I didn't intend to ride all those miles in one day, but when I get homebound I have a hard time stopping - so it was about 9:00 pm when I rolled into our circle, tired but happy to be home!

The total distance of the trip was 2591 miles.

This was a nice ride, however it was not the best I've ever been on. My timing was perfect or maybe 'imperfect' for weather as there was a record breaking heat wave that I rode in for most of the trip.
In Seattle I was stuck in a stop and go traffic jam for close to 45 minutes in about 110 degree temps.
In Tacoma the temp was 113....and on and on.

Ohhh well, you take the good with the bad, the sweet with the sour and the hot with the cold and while it was not a perfect ride it was still a motorcycle ride!
...and that means;
Life is GOOD!

2 comments:

Adrian said...

Sure seems like a hot start this summer.. beautiful ride though!

Ken said...

Adrian - Sometimes "hot" has a positive connotation....but not in this case! LOL
Still....a ride is a good thing!