Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Cache Gathering 2021 - part 1

The annual Cache Rally/Gathering is here.

On my trip to Colorado a couple weeks ago, somehow my rear wheel suffered a break at a spoke attachment point. I kept forgetting to get a good pic, but if you look at the rear wheel in this pic you can see the broken spot at about the 6:00 position.

So I ordered a new outer rim and Steadman's in Tooele was able to finish lacing it in time so I could go on this ride.


The Cache rally will be held at Kamiah, Idaho this year. Kamiah (Camy-eye) is 577 miles from my home. I'll be on the freeway for 346 miles to Boise, then the roads will vastly improve!

So it was finally time to leave...And I did make it to Boise...almost. I stopped at the rest stop about 17 miles before town. The reason I stopped was to decide if I wanted to get a room in Boise or continue on. But as I searched for a room I was shocked to see they were going from $200 to 450 a pop!!

 What?!?! 
It turns out several events were going on in Boise that week and the town was packed! 
Town Packed = Prices Jacked!
But I wasn't going to spend that kind of money for a room. Even at the jacked up prices most of them were sold out anyway.

Sooooo..... I considered my options and decided I would just stay overnight at the rest stop. When it is time to sleep I'll don my rain gear to keep warm, and try to get some sleep. 

But then..... An hour or so later my phone went off with some weather alerts. 
Ohhh goodie...

One was a wind advisery (gusts to 60mph) the other was about a dust storm advisery.
And the wind DID BLOW!!
And the dust DID...ummm....DUST!

The traffic on the freeway was going somewhat slower due to the dust, and the trees were groaning because of the horrendous winds!
It was an interesting night.


My sleeping accommodations (the red bag was my pillow, the green duffle bag was my bed) and what I had for dinner (bagel and boiled egg). It's all good at least it was a cheap night.




These two guys along with their buddy not in the pic watched out for me while I stayed at the rest stop.

Gene, Steven and Jacob are homeless and are regulars at this rest stop. They went out of their way to make certain I was aware of the weather advisories, shared their beer and even offered me a tarp to sleep under, which I declined, but in hindsight I wish I had taken them up on that offer.

I enjoyed their company and more importantly, their Christian fellowship!
Sleep was scarce so early in the morning I left the rest stop and picked up another US Best Road on my way to Kamiah.

Horseshoe Bend to Cascade, Idaho

When I reverse the screen on my phone I get this muddy picture.... my phone needs a new screen cover...

After some very scenic riding, I make it to Kamiah and ride to the KOA to meet with Don aka nvr2old (the organizer) and Len and his wife.


Don and I decide to ride to Elk City. 
What a beautiful ride! Where the road ends at Elk City there was this nice place to eat so we took advantage of that and got fish and chips.

Don underneath Headache rock.
If you're driving a box truck or an RV you'll want to be careful here.

When we got back in Kamiah the group chose a Mexican eatery to have dinner - we had good conversation and ...dinner.

I didn't get a group picture and as far as I know no one else did either.
Then on Friday everyone but me departed for their next destinations

I stayed another day and went on a solo ride.

Somewhere near Pierce I ran into this guy, he was very friendly and offered to have me go on his ride with him...  He insisted the road, while dirt, was very well maintained, I thanked him for the offer but   declined.



More in Part 2

No comments: